One of our favorites is a pork butt roast..often labeled as a pork shoulder blade roast. The recipe we use:

Barbecued Pork Butt

5-6 lb. Pork Butt untrimmed and bone-in
French’s mustard as needed

Rub

1 Tbsp. salt
¼ Cup sugar
2 Tbsp each: brown sugar, cumin, chili powder ( good powder not store bought)
1 Tbsp. Black pepper
1 Tbsp. Cayenne
¼ Cup Paprika
1 Tsp. Ground ginger
1 Tsp. Allspice
½ Tsp. Ground cloves

The Rest

Apple juice, bourbon or ale for spraying
Sauce for mopping and dipping
Sauce for mixing with cooked meat

Slather French’s mustard liberally all over the meat. Sprinkle generously with BBQ rub and let sit two hours to come to room temperature and become tacky. In the smoking process, this tacky coating becomes the pork butt’s flavorsome exterior.

Start smoker; get coals going and ashed over. Put in drip pan lined with foil. But no liquid. Get smoker temp to about 225 F or 110 C. I have also done this on my gas grill with a smoker box. Place pork butt on top rack. Keep temperature steady at 200-225 F adding apple wood, pecan or both every hour or so, and new coals when needed.

Smoke butt about 1 ½ to 2 hours per pound or until it registers 180 to 200F on a meat thermometer. Turn butt once about halfway through. It will generally be done in six to seven hours, depending on the heat of the smoker and weather the butt is boned.

In the last two hours spray meat liberally with apple juice and maple juice (or beer) turning and spraying a couple of times. In the last hour mop butt with Ron’s dipping sauce thinned a bit with apple juice or beer.

Once butt is removed from smoker, let it sit under a foil tent for 15-30 minutes. Pull meat apart with two forks. It should shred easily, if not slice and chop.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg