Thanks... that helped me make the final decision. I ended up going with a 22-1/2" kettle but at the last minute decided to get the Performer with the cart and gas lighter. Here's how I figured it :

22-1/2" gold kettle - 190 CDN
chimney starter - 30 CDN (don't need with Performer)
mod to add a thermometer in lid - 20 CDN (included)
baskets for coals - 30 CDN (included)

I'm already up to $270 CDN, so the extra $130 for a Performer doesn't seem too bad considering you get :

- a nice, really well built cart and work surface
- convenience of not having to take partially burned briquettes out to relight them
- very convenient lid holder
- thermometer already built into lid (no modding)

Everything you get for the $$ is convenience, of course -- it won't cook any differently from a Silver kettle -- but if the convenience lets me use it more often then I figure it's a good investment (carcinogens notwithstanding).

I picked it up after work today and assembled it as soon as I got home.

Tossed on a bag of chicken leg quarters (smear on some jerk seasoning, sear for a few minutes on each side over the coals, then indirect heat over a drip pan for an hour turning every 15 mins), which should be done... now.

Gotta go

EDIT -- Dang, that was good. I guess the charcoal adds a bit of smoke flavour even if you haven't added any smoke wood. The outer part of the chicken had a nice red/pink smoke tinge and the meat was really tasty even though I didn't have time to marinade at all.

Close the vents, charcoal seems to go out. Fire up the gas starter, charcoal gets going again. I like it.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/10/07 04:37 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8