I like the little point and shoot cameras for just dropping them on my pocket so that I have it when I don’t want to lug a bag around (which is more often than not). Well a couple weeks ago I was hanging out with a friend who had an SLR and I took a few shots with it. That was probably a mistake because now I want one. It felt good to hold a somewhat normal sized camera again. The one my buddy has was an older Canon Rebel.

The past few days I’ve been looking at camera reviews and asking other friends what they use and think, and then got to thinking…. there’s some real pro’s and excellent armature photographers that frequent this place so I figured I’d ask y’all for input too…

I never was very good and I’m pretty impatient, so I’m starting from ground zero here. In other words, I need to keep it simple. I also have somewhat normal to small hands for a guy, I think. That little Canon I was using the other day fit just fine.

I’m looking at the following cameras.

Canon Rebel XTi
Nikon D40x
Olympus Evolt 510
Olympus Evolt 410
Sony Alpha A100

From doing some quick reading, I’ve gathered some info on each camera worth thinking about, but I’m pretty clueless what else I should be interested in.

All are 10 mega pixel and under $1000 (which is about all I can afford). All but the Olympus 510 are smaller framed SLR’s and the 510 looks to be on the small size too.

The Olympus 510 and Sony have some sort of body image stabilization, and the others need lenses with IS if I want that option. The Olympus and Sony have unique dust control that the others don’t have.

The Nikon D40x required auto focus lenses if auto focus is desired.

The Olympus 510 is new and I can’t find any user reports so it’s hard to tell how it’ll shake out.

Do you camera buffs have any words of wisdom, suggestions, and recommendations?? What do you think about the cameras I have listed? Any I should drop off my shopping list and any I should add?