Quote:

Ya, that's where I saw that! So what do you think about that? Is it a big enough issue to drop that camera off my shopping list?

I don't really see it as a huge issue, but it really depends on what lenses you were planning on using in the long run. If you knew there was a specific lens you wanted to use that was not AF-S or AF-I.

Quote:

If I do pick up a canon next week, what lens would you recommend I pick up for multi use?

It depends on your budget... my personal 'all around' favorite is the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, but it's ~$400. Also, with the 1.6xCF on the XTi the 28mm can be a tad tight... 28mm x 1.6 = ~50mm, which is the 'standard' length for film cameras. If you are serious about landscapes you may be better off with two (or more) lenses... but for a single walk around lens the 28-135 is great. I'd be interested to check-out the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS, but that's around $500. If that is out of your price range there are some other lenses, but I'm not really up on them.

Wide angles (landscapes) between 17-30mm, Standard (what your eye sees) is 50mm, Portraits go around 135mm, and sports and stuff over 200mm. It's tough to get one lens that covers it all, but there are some good pairs (like the 24-70mm, then the 70-200, a 300, and 500, etc.).

-Todd...