Just as with home theater, you get what you put into it, but the law of diminishing returns is probably a bigger factor than you might think. A huge part of photography is personal expression and composition, aspects unrelated to the hardware. Really, just about any lens from any known manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Tamron, Sigma, etc) will be fine for someone starting out. So much of it is in composition and timing of the photograph itself. Sometimes the difference between a 'picture' and a 'photograph' is in the matting and framing, which has nothing to do with your camera *or* your photographic skills.

Honestly, I'd say that most people (myself included) are pretty content with a decent 28ish-70ish f3.5-5.6 'standard lens', and then maybe a higher 80ish-200+ 'zoom lens'. You don't need to go overboard on the lenses, at least in the beginning. None of the relatively expensive lenses are really required, as you can take fantastic photographs with little more than a 50mm lens.

Quote:

Thanks... this is going to be an expensive hobby. I can tell already.

Olympus has an 18-180mm F 3.5 - 6.3 lens for their 4/3 cameras. It's pretty light too. Looks like I better put it back on the shopping list.. dangit..

Where'd you see that $750 for the Nikon Lens? B/H?

nevermind.... I saw it at B/H.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 06/01/07 06:29 PM.