Originally Posted By: JohnK

Also, in considering how much current a speaker uses at a given sound level, speaker sensitivity has to be taken into account, and a speaker such as the M80 with slightly above average sensitivity can actually require the same or even less current for a given sound level than an 8 ohm speaker of less sensitivity. For example, if the M80 required 50 watts for a brief peak, the current required would be (square root)50/4=3.53 amperes; for the same brief peak a speaker of 3dB less sensitivity requiring twice the power(e.g., the M3)at 8 ohms would similarly require (square root)100/8=3.53 amperes.

John,

I think that might explain something that I’ve pondered to some degree, but never curious enough to pose the question as a stand alone post. But now that you mention it, hijacking this thread seams appropriate.

A while back my remote decided to pin the volume on the 3808 that I’m using as a pre/pro. The center channel of the 5X200 amp tripped off, but all other channels stayed lit. By going off your example of the M80 vrs M3, would it be a logical assumption that my twin M22 center arrangement draws more current than the M80 mains?