Originally Posted By: sirquack
Dave, you mention you have 3 subs. Have you calibrated each of them one by one to 75dB, or whatever db your other speakers are set? Also, are they placed around the room, or all up front?

Process:

Turn all subs off.
Turn sub "one" on, and calibrate it to 75dB's like the other speakers.
Turn sub "one" off, and turn sub "two" on and calibrate it to 75dB.
Turn sub "two" off, and turn sub "three" on and calibrate it to 75dB.
Then turn all subs on which will give you about a 5dB gain over the speakers, but that is what sounds great to me, and recommended in Ian's video.

For distance (delay) you have to average the distance of all your subs, it is best to try to space them equal distance from you, but that may be difficult, so just average their distances.

Then, run Audyssey.

Randy, I should have read on a bit. You and Jay are saying pretty much the same. I did not know you'd 'then' run Audyssey after that. Previously, I have had the two 'lesser' subs adjusted to just below where they distort. Then run Audyssey pos.#1 for the sub check to get it around =/- 3dB, then run Audyssey. I wonder if this has a similar effect, except making sure the two lower end subs don't go into clipping or port chortle(tech term ;o). I actually took apart one KLH and checked all screws for tightness, thinking something was vibrating inside. No change. Turns out the port (though glued in solid, was creating an awefull noise. So I just turned them down a bit in elation to the Servo 15. Pretty much, when in a bass heavy seection, if they'd distort/chortle, I turned down the kn ob until this was eliminated. That is why I have always felt the two KLH's are just sort of filler LFE, not being asked to perform to the SPL that the Servo15 does.

I did not realize others have felt Audyssey sets the sub level too low. Does just manually bumping the sub trim up from the remote on the fly not reproduce bass as well because Aydyssey did not set it there?

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."