Originally Posted By: wheelz999

Thanks for all of that information, bud. One question-what do you mean by "IR Receiver extender. If you want to turn on your cable with RF/IR later, it's a must"? I have a Harmony 1000 along with the wireless extender. My satellite box will be in the cabinet at the back of the room so I assume I'm okay? Sorry, I don't know what else the IR receiver extender would be used for.

Thanks

Some universal remotes use RF to communicate between the remote itself and the "controller" in the equipment rack. From this "controller" you plug in the IR flashers to stick on the equipment. This way, products that only work with IR (TVs, DVD players, cable boxes etc) can be controlled with the RF remote. The remote sends its signal via RF (so you can go through walls, don't have to point etc.) and the controller translates the RF signal into IR flashes.

Some remotes (some models of Harmony for example) have IR BLASTER. These are like flashers, but it's meant to spread the IR signal across multiple devices. MY URC remote uses 3.5mm mono cables for the IR flashers. So I ran 3.5mm mono extender cable from the equipment rack to the TV. I can then plug in my flasher to the extender, then the extender into the controller.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers