Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Someone please provide a explanation of the emergence of language which necessarily arises from the theory of evolution.

Here's an overview.

Here's a relevant quote from the overview: The Broca's and Wernicke's areas of the primate brain also appear in the human brain, the first area being involved in many cognitive and perceptual tasks, the latter lending to language skills. The same circuits discussed in the primates' brain stem and limbic system control non-verbal sounds in humans (laughing, crying, etc.), which suggests that the human language center is a modification of neural circuits common to all primates. This modification and its skill for linguistic communication seem to be unique to humans, which implies that the language organ derived after the human lineage split from the primate (chimps and bonobos) lineage."

I'm familiar with Broca's organ and Wernicke's area, however, those morphological structures are not an explanation based on the theory of evolution for the emergence of language. Contrary to your post, primates do not possess Broca's organ, or any neural structure which if damaged degrades their linguistic ability.

Further, the mere fact that there are neural structures associated with language is not an explanation for how language ability emerged or operates in the human species.

I hope someone can please explain how the theory of evolution accounts for the emergence of language in the human species.

Respectfully, I don't think you can. Arm waiving, and this is something like that (analogical reasoning) is not sufficient.

I do not suggest by this question that the Eternal One endowed the human species with particular faculties, but rather that the theory of evolution, though powerful, is not a sufficient theory to explain the emergence of every human characteristic.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 08/16/12 06:29 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.