Originally Posted By: 2x6spds

I hope someone can please explain how the theory of evolution accounts for the emergence of language in the human species.

Respectfully, I don't think you can. Arm waiving, and this is something like that (analogical reasoning) is not sufficient.

I do not suggest by this question that the Eternal One endowed the human species with particular faculties, but rather that the theory of evolution, though powerful, is not a sufficient theory to explain the emergence of every human characteristic.

You're right, I readily admit that I am not a language theorist. I do not have the answers you seek. I was merely pointing you to a starting point for your search. In the wikipedia article that I referenced, there are several theories espoused, with the admission that the study of the evolution of language is made difficult by the fact that, in short, there are no language fossils.

I do not agree that the development of language suggests some other force besides evolution. Evolution has at its core the concept of survival of the fittest. Fitness is not just a physical quality of being stronger or faster. It has also a mental aspect of being smarter/sneakier/more creative. There is also a behavioral component, e.g. pack behavior, cooperation. The development of language would be a fantastic skill that would give advantage to the species that possessed it. So it seems to me that the development of language fits in just fine with evolutionary theory.

Last edited by medic8r; 08/16/12 06:52 PM. Reason: 2x6 edited his post to answer my original question of "Why?"

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.