I don't want to touch on too many topics that are already here. My purchase decision for Axiom was based on fact finding research rather than hearsay and nay-sayers. I wanted something better than what I had but wasn't willing to pay an arm and a leg or a hope and a prayer to get it.

I have given up asking on that other forum for advice as they don't seem to listen to what I am asking and don't have the same mindset to what I am trying to accomplish.

I am building a new room in my basement for a media/listening room. It's something that isn't going to be finished for another 5-7 months, but when the room is done I would like to have the equipment or at lest some idea of what needs to go inside.

I liked the reviews of the M80 and hope that the v.4 unit will be even better than the v.3's that I have read up about.

Q- When you ask around about Axiom speakers, the common response is they tend to be bright. I still have not got mine, but I am wondering from those who have actually heard them. Would you say that true or just one of those hearsay rumours that won't go away?

Knowing about sound, what you get out of a speaker is very much influenced by what goes in. Like, if you put in a garbage recording, you will likely hear garbage sound. But I also hear that amplifiers also have a characteristic. So I hear that a bright speaker with a bright amp x is torcher, but match the same speaker with a tube amp and it can sound wonderful.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1126K amp that I was thinking of using. It should handle the 4Ω M80 speakers, but I am told that these sound much better with a larger amp. Based on the printed manual is says the amp is only good to 6Ω but online is says 4.

I was thinking of hooking up a power amp through the pre-outs for the front 3 speakers, so if the amp is not powerful enough, then that could take care of it.

I have looked at a better Pioneer Elite SC-1527K that has a D3 210w @ 4Ω but it costs more than getting an Emotiva XPA-3 that probably is a better unit.

Q- Knowing what sounds best with these speakers, what would you suggest? I'd like time to budget to get the money, research and buy before the room is done so I can start to use it right away. I am not really interested in the "try what you have and see if it's good enough" routine. I know it isn't and I would rather have something good and make it even better with accoustic tinkering.

Matt

Last edited by oakvillematt; 05/06/14 11:50 PM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5