Originally Posted By: medic8r
Welcome, Matt. Are you in Oakville, Ontario, or another Oakville?

I have the M80s, v2, and I run them with the Onkyo HT-RC370, a receiver rated at 100 watts.

Yes, that is Oakville Ontario. So it's only a short haul over to the USA if I need.

I looked up the specs for your Onkyo, and it lists it as being like my Poineer VSX-1126K in supporting 8 and 6ohm. How long have you been using this setup, and do you find your receiver running hot?

The reason for my questions is that I've had a Harman Kardon fail with the unit overheating. Now that might have been that the fan inside the unit failed, rather than the fan failed due to the internals overheated... I don't really know.

My current VSX-1126K is in for repail (luckily under warranty) for the HDMI board going poof, but I have read that this part goes and service can be brutal to get it replaced. I know that Paradigm uses the words 8ohm compatible with their speakers. So I am not sure if that means the same thing as Axiom's 4ohm rating even though it's only that for a range of frequencies where it will pull more power. Personally looking at Axioms graph it looks like more than 50% of the time it's below the 6ohm bottom end of my unit. Of course Paradigm provides no impedance graph to work with.

I am thinking for piece of mind that I might look to upgrade to a better Receiver or look into finding an external amp. Sadly, around me seems to be rather devoid of amps that I am interested in. There are some really old stuff that might work fine, but I don't know if I want to go there. Many that cost too much for me to consider, and the good deals seem to get snatched up in hours.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5