Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
I would have hoped that those who will buy axiom product would not be snooty highfalutin who want to spend time judging others against what they feel is correct.

I guess I was wrong, and this forum is full of the same people that drove me from the other forum.

Dakkon, consider yourself called out for being a SNOOT! With your first paragraph I am to take it that you would prefer a title like:

HT Receiver or pre amp and a Power Amp recommendations to make my newly bought Axiom M80v4 and VP180v3 speakers sound good.

if you feel the need to criticize people.. DON'T. just turn off the computer and go listen to your music and keep your opinion to yourself. If you would like to help, then how about answering the specific question.. (if you took the time to actually read the original post!)

I have a receiver (hope this is acceptable for you) that does not support 4ohm.

I can purchase a new higher end receiver that can handle the 4ohm speakers that has a better D3 210w@4ohm amplifier inside of it. It is easy as I simply phone up the store and they deliver it to me two days later.

I could also purchase an External Power Amplifier such as an Emotiva XPA-3 but I would have to order it shipped to a US postal address, then take a day off to drive out there and pick it up. Pay the taxes and duty if any to bring it back into Canada. It will give me 330w@4ohm. But it is a much larger hassle to get but still within my realm of doing if it would be noticeably better or gives other advantages that I do not realize.

For an average person, will having an external amplifier sound better than a receiver with a D3 amp inside of it?

I don't plan on listening to movies or audio at really high volumes. I live in a residential neighbourhood with other houses besides mine. I have young kids, and I want to save what is left of my own hearing. So no 100db+ from these speakers.

To give perspective, I find most movie theatres play way too loud.

is the question now really clear or is there additional information needed to answer.

Welcome to Axiom and welcome to the forum!

I really don't think Dakkon was trying to be snooty. It is indeed a somewhat hotly debated topic as to whether the amps included in receivers are sufficient for stereo or home theater applications. I do think in general there is some agreement that there isn't really very much difference between the amps in one receiver versus another, as long as the receiver is a decent one.

I myself had a higher end Denon receiver and thought the sound was great! Then I got my Axiom speakers (M80s at first) and started investing in separate amps -- I now have an Axiom ADA1500 (4 channels) and a vintage Parasound (3 channels). I currently have a 5.1 system in a relatively small room but do like to listen to movies and music fairly loud, often at reference levels. In my case, I definitely believe that the investment is worthwhile.

Your proposed HT room is actually quite large. If you want to achieve reference level for movies in that size room I personally doubt that the amps in your receiver will be up to the task.

By the way, if you're in Oakville, Ontario, I'm not far away and would be happy to have you come over and listen to my system sometime. (I'm in Maple and probably no more than an hour's drive from you.) That way you can make a more informed decision. Please feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your HT plans!