My remark about snooty is in reference to "there is a pretty big different between a receiver and amp." I get that is can be a contested topic where some people believe one thing and others believe something different. But I would say that there is more in common between the two than different.

And had the question been about if a Receiver was an Amp or should be referred to as an amp, then great to bring up the point.

If the wording on my original post was that confusing that the use of the word amp rather than receiver would leave many people confused as to what I was asking. Great, bring it up.

Perhaps I am being a bit over-sensitive, but if you took the whole first paragraph out of his post, would it have lost any meaning? Had I known that there would be a problem using the "A" word when I should have used the "R" word I probably would not have posted here.

All I was asking for is some personal experience from people who have used the product. If it's a common thing that the speakers don't sound good on a lower end Receiver designed for 8ohm and that is simple common knowledge then it's something that I'd like to know before I plug them in.

You are correct that I am the only person who can decide if it is worth it to buy a new Receiver or an External Amp. But I do value others experience as to what they found. Like it would be nice to know if a number of owners found it remarkably better when plugged into a high powered external amp, then it would be worth looking into. Likewise it would be good to know if other found that getting a modest priced external amp worked the same as the receiver it replaced then it gives you a point of reference when looking for what to buy.

It seems the only common thing that I have seen here is that most users believe that High End audio stores give biased advice to sell the product that they have. So going to them for advice is a fast way to spend more money.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5