Some quick points that overlap others:

1_ The amp is part of a receiver or sometimes also called an AVR (audio visual receiver). AVR usually have video processors, inputs for multiple video and audio sources, AM/FM tuners, plus the amplifier section. They are the all-in-one required to play sound. If you buy separate components, you would need a source player (e.g. dvd), a pre-amp, an amp, then speakers.

2_ More power (as in wattage) is only required if you are further away from the speakers, like to play them loud, or the receiver that one owns is simply under-designed or under-powered for the application you want but could be used as the pre-amp section for a sound system.

3_ The ohms limit to which you refer could be an issue with some speakers for some receivers. For example the M80s are listed as 4 ohm speakers while the Pioneer receiver you have is listed for use with 8 or 6 ohm speakers (and possibly 4 ohm as you do have some conflicting information). A 4 ohm speaker may provide too much load on such a receiver which does not have a beefy enough power supply and if that occurs, the receiver usually has protection circuitry that shuts it down before anything blows. Knowing that, you might want to choose a receiver that is known to work fine with 4 ohm rated speakers if you are unsure about the Pioneer. Some names that have been tested over the years includes Denon, Onkyo, Sherwood Newcastle, Rotel and certainly some Pioneer receivers (there are likely many more brands, i only listed a few). Personally i've always found Pioneers to run hotter compared to others, but that is just one man's opinion and i haven't seen a Pioneer receiver in use in years so maybe their designs have changed.

4_ A "perfect" room for sound is NOT a square or rectangle. If anything, having some bumps, dips, sloped ceiling, is actually useful. Think of how proper concert halls are designed. Many have a sloped or curved ceiling and walls above you and around the main seating area.

5_ Adding acoustic treatments to walls (and this includes what people call a bass trap), can change the sound, but whether it "helps" to make the sound response more linear, more accurate, could only be measured with a microphone and special software. Some people on these forums have measured the sound response in their listening chairs after playing around with acoustic treatments. Start by simply buying speakers and tinkering with their placement and the placement of your seating positions. Just keep in mind that with plain walls, hardwood floors and not much else in the room but typical couches, the room will reflect alot of sound and potentially sound very echo-ey (some listeners describe this as 'bright' or 'harsh').

5_ My own opinions of Axiom speakers is that they are a fantastic value. It is a great company with superior customer service, research philosophy and custom options. That being said, Axiom speakers are not my holy grail. I have heard other speakers that i like better for some reasons, but if i had my way, i would combine certain things about Axiom with those other characteristics of other speakers and perhaps then i would have my perfect speaker. I can only suggest you get a local demo of Axiom speakers near where you live if you are uncertain about buying them upfront. Even if you do, you can return them to Axiom within 30d if you don't like them.

Last edited by chesseroo; 05/07/14 02:18 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."