Originally Posted by TrevorM
You have to set it to dolby surround. Just hit the colored buttons at bottom of remote until it cycles to Dolby Surround/Atmos. Then leave it and it will default to that decoder next time that codec is detected.
The Denon is set to DD when using Crave or Fibe. However, that 5.1 signal does not translate to the other two rear surrounds. When scrolling through the DSPs available, the other options are not DD (i can get all channel multi audio for example, or Neural X, etc.). When using the Apple tv cube, i also do not get a simple DD and instead get a different indicator symbols which you can see here :https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/DRDZSYhrhvtgzs.php

Anyway, long story short, i figured out what was happening and the primary issues were two things; signal from the individual apps not having all the same DSP default (i thought they did when i first set it all up) and almost more importantly, the AVR display mode is not what i was used to using.

First, Apple tv cube (or my Roku) had the default Dolby Atmos version when using Disney, Prime. No problems though as previously noted, the Roku will say DD + Atmos or something like that while the Apple tv cube uses these symbols. Both do all surround sound 7.1.

However, when the Bell PVR was in use, or the Bell Fibe app (through the Roku or the Apple tv cube), the default was Dolby Digital. This sounds 'right' but it is only DD 5.1. This is what threw me along with something i had not expected; the difference between how my older Onkyo AVR displayed DSPs on its LED screen vs. this new Denon. When scrolling through DSPs, the Onkyo would show you what you have selected. The Denon would show you what you have selected on the FIRST LED line, but on the SECOND LED line it shows you the next DSP in the list if you keep scrolling!
So, for example:

Onkyo LED panel output would look like this if Direct was the DSP selected:
Direct

Denon panel output would look like this:
Direct
Stereo

If i selected stereo next for both:
Onkyo
Stereo

Denon
Stereo
Dolby Digital

So here's the kicker. When i move on to the DD surround modes, here is how the Denon reads:
Dolby Digital +
Dolby Surround

When i see that on the LED output, i assumed i was in the Dolby Digital format that was required for the full 7.1 system. It literally looks like that is how it reads but it is deceiving especially since i was used to how my old Onkyo displayed the DSPs. Hence, by pressing the DSP menu one more time, it went into the Dolby Surround mode for all 7.1 whereas the previous DD was obviously just 5.1.

I now set that as the default for each of the apps, devices that were not setup that way before and going forward, if i change the DSP at all (like listening to music in Direct mode), i now know about how the Denon displays its DSP on its front panel.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."