I recently came up to a description of "something" called Mucical Fidelity X-10V3 Tube Output Buffer. I had no idea what it was before but somebody highly recommended it with my setup. Apparently it would remove sibilance and harshness of CD players in general. I also got a nice explenation of what a buffer can do:

In reply to:

A tube buffer (or just a plain old buffer, for that matter), is a component that has a very high input impedance, and a very low output impedance and has the ability to provide a (relatively) large current at its output. This means that where you would have originally connected component A to component B, you place the buffer in between components. As the buffer has a high input impedance (higher than B's input impedance), component A has an easier time driving it (has to provide less current for a given voltage). This can result in less distortion. As the buffer has a low output impedance (relative to A) and can supply a large current (relative to A), It will have an easier time driving B than A would. It basically means that A sees a friendlier load (asking for less), and B sees a friendlier source (willing to give more).

A buffer is not a DAC, and would be connected in the analogue signal path.

The fact that it is a tube buffer (rather than transistor) will likely give the music a characteristically warmer sound. This is (probably) largely due to the distortion characteristics of tubes Vs. transistors.

I have seen a few in a 300 dollars range in Audiogon, which is very reasonable.

Anybody any opinion or experience? I would be very interested in getting something inexpensive to "warm" the sound of my system a bit...

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3