A reduction in dB in this range does not make a recording less sibilant. It only makes the range more quiet thus providing the illusion that the sibilance has been decreased. The ssss of sibilance remains in the recording now overshadowed by more prominent SPL from the surrounding frequencies.

I would say it is more an issue of the recording mic used or similar peripherals. You cannot remove sibilance by reducing dB of a frequency unless of course every person spoke their S at exactly the same frequency and that particular frequency was completely muted to 0dB. Highly unlikely.
By reducing the volume in a sound range controlled by something like a treble knob, you are also reducing more than just the S sound otherwise.

The M40 has sibilance just like the M60 from what i've heard with mdrew's recordings he provided. My big Tannoys also demonstrate the sibilance of the recordings and Tannoys are known for their British sound (that BBC dip so to speak). The M40s were no less sibilant than the M60s but the M60s dedicated midrange certainly makes a sharp noise alot more prominent to one's ears.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/01/05 06:45 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."