Originally Posted By: avjunkee
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
No one can resist torture for long.

Not true...THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Don't forget Chuck Norris!

Does the US Government use "advanced interrogation techniques" today? Yes. Did they use it under the last president? Yes. Before him? I would bet so...

Is it morally right? Not with me. Does it potentially save dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions of people? I have no idea. The government won't say.

Is is wise for anyone in the position of knowing and acting today with action of torture to admit to it? Heck no. There is no way that they would say, "Yes, we tortured the snot out of these guys."

What about other countries? There are reports a couple of times a year about people (almost all military troops) who have been horribly tortured in other countries. Body parts cut off, severely burned, blinded by various methods, forced to drink toxic chemicals... It happens and it is terrible. IF I may paraphrase the old Terminator 2 movie, Arnold says something in response to John Connor's comment about the human race isn't going to make it, and he says something like, "It is in your nature to destroy yourselves." There is a lot of unfortunate truth in that statement.

Anyway, are there all sorts of conspiracy theories, even in the middle-east about Bin Laden really being alive, or killed 10 years ago, or frozen (read that one earlier today)? Absolutely. Even people that are news makers are questioning things like how this went from point A to point Z so fast from the attack, to the killing, to the DNA test, to the tossing of the body into the ocean. Stating that they find it hard to believe, regardless of the religious right to a fast burial, that it all happened THAT fast.

Would I put it past ANY president to "save" something like this (action or delayed announcement) to save their political butt? No.

Look. The guy was horrible. The #2 guy that is now #1 is horrible too. From a moral point of view, I throw that out the window (maybe it makes me a horrible person too) when someone comes after me, my family, or my livelihood. With that said, Obama has done more damage to all three of those for me personally more than Osama (Usama) has. That doesn't mean that I don't care about or know a good number of people direly impacted by 9/11 and understand their grief, anger, and now somewhat of a relief in the announcement.

As for those people that feel that they need to call names, or say that people are ignorant, etc. Come on... This is why political threads are generally discouraged here. You are all entitled, as far as I am concerned, to voice your opinion, but the name calling towards other members here needs to stop.

Farewell - June 4, 2020