Hi Inane,

CatBrat is right. Sharp LCD sets have been among the worst for off-angle viewing. The contrast and color shifts last time I looked at some models were gross even at modest off-axis angles. That was two years ago. I've always felt the Samsung LCD sets are quite good off-angle.

Plus, in the past, Sharp gear hasn't been very reliable.

Now, Mitsubishi gear (TVs, cars, computer monitors, etc): very unreliable. Even their old CRT sets always broke down, as did their computer monitors. Despite the superiority of DLP in many respects, and the incredibly cheap Mitsu DLP prices, I'd resist.

My 50-inch Samsung DLP is still chugging along on the original bulb with no problems after six years.

I was reminded of the limitations of LCD displays for fast-action sports watching some basketball and hockey on my spouse's Samsung LCD display in Toronto over the past week--all kinds of video artifacts, smearing and the like, with fast horizontal and vertical action. I see none of those on my DLP set, and plasma displays are also free of motion artifacts.

I'm sure JohnK will be along with some of the Consumer Reports latest recommendations on flat-screen displays. Their judgments, at least on video displays, are reasonably accurate in my experience.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)