Originally Posted By: JohnK
Geoff Morrison discusses motion blur in "What is Refresh Rate?" .

I have not seen so much CR@P since my trip to the elephant exhibit at the local zoo.

Quote:
In the early days of LCDs this was predominantly because of the "response time," or how fast the pixels could change from light to dark. Response times on modern LCDs are quite good, and this isn't the big issue anymore.

So in the article he admits that the response time is no longer and issue. So what causes it? The article does not say. But he implies that the issue is caused only on LCD and not on Plasma screens.

Plasma is a light emitting technology, so it can pulse the image pixles and then fade back to black.

But so can a good LCD, as the transition from black to white to black is still less than the 60hz.

I still get a kick out of the make believe photo's they show of how they generate images in-between frames that have all this detail. It is utter BS! The differences between the two frames is almost identical, and if it is a very fast movement, then your brain simply blurs as your eyes cannot process fast enough.

Think of it as watching a car drive quickly past you. It is blured. But if you think of it, that car was updating at infinity hz. If you slice time into smaller and smaller segments, the car has moved along in a fluid and constant motion not in finite jerky blocks. So why is it blurry? Obviously the movement of the car exceeded our eye/brain ability to process individual sharp imaged in sucession, and that is with real life. How do you expect anything different from a TV.

The problem gets compounded even more, because we fail to realize that the stuff we see on TV is recorded by a video camera of some sort, and it doesn't grab everything on a frame instantly in total sharpness. No, it scans from the top corner to the bottom opposite corner and then starts over again. Any object that is moving faster than the recorders ability to capture a full frame of image will be by default smeared/burred on that frame as its position at the start of the frame is totally different from its position at the end of the frame. An no amount of adding frames, or flashing background will solve a blurred source image. Cannot be done.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5