In reply to:

That all maybe true scientifically, but why did I hear a discernible difference when running my gear of a 541i vs. a Audiotron over toslink.

Having not been in your experiment, I can only offer a possibility. You were expecting a difference, you knew which source you were listening to, so you heard one. Psychology plays a major role in these which is why those of us that demand proof require blind listening.

In reply to:

DAC, clock jitter?

My company produces the best timing silicon in the world. Unparalleled. As such, I'm pretty familiar with timing schemes. In a digital music stream from identical CD players, there is absolutely no difference in the raw data received unless one of the players is of such a poor caliber that it can't provide the digital information to the amp. Having had a few decades to play with CD's, no one designs that poorly. Clock jitter is the average difference between one cycle of the clock signal and the next. While it can be measured, it would have no effect on the system unless it was so massive as to cause the DAC to actually be mistimed. The result of that would definitely be audible in that the entire piece of music would be garbage as the bitstream wouldn't even resemble the final piece. But more importantly, CD's are designed with parity, and the players have a large buffer in which the final bitstream is compared to itself to make sure no bits have been lost in transmission long before it's actually played through your speakers.

In reply to:

The best explanation I have is right now digital 'clock jitter' so maybe I'll try to follow it up.

Only because it doesn't appear you understand the circuit involved. It is FAR from a good explanation.

In reply to:

the wave form, when restored at wrong time, may get warped significantly enough to matter?

Remember: you're talking about a digital bitstream, not an analogue wave form. If the bitstream is screwed up, the result isn't an output that's a little off like an analogue wave that gets distorted. It's an entirely different piece of information. That's the beauty of digital. It's either 1 or 0. Screw that up, and there's only one place it can go.

In reply to:

Why not clock sync the CD player and the preamp, can't be bad, except some money wasted ;-)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Are you saying we should opperate the CD player and the preamp at the same frequency? What possible purpose would that serve?

Regards,
Semi

Last edited by Semi_On; 04/28/03 05:42 PM.