oh, missed the response first or maybe we crossed.

For jitter, yes, this is very good information. I go and drive some experts nuts about this jitter now. Now I also remember that CPUs had about picosecs jitter to them, saw it with our ASIC designers (I'm a refugee from some serious full-rack, kick-butt we can heat a house telekom gear startups, been in it for >10 years now ;-) Sounds like you're doing some Stratus I stuff, not much demand for that now from telecom side ;-)

The pico-seconds I explained in other post, didn't see any solid science for, just audiophile website hear-say ;-)

Again, for speech, the patricia woman is very well published, she gave a talk when I was in Bell Labs. Actually, there is much more interesting stuff to it, they tested how we build kind of a 'warp matrix' as very small children (<1year) that zeroes in on the key sounds of _our_ language. So that's e.g. why a chinese cannot hear (where cannot not defined physically but by what arrives in your gray matter) the difference between 'r' and 'l'. There seem to be a sound in chinese language that is keyed on that lies close to both and for a chinese everything that is close enough sounds like this one sound. We (e.g. english speaking) have same problem when spoken other languages to. I'm searching my Bell Labs mailbox but there were thousands of talks :-/ Aaaah, here it is

General Research Colloquium
Friday, February 12, 1999
3:00pm
ARNOLD AUDITORIUM, Murray Hill

Speaker: Patricia K. Kuhl, University of Washington

Title: Language, mind, and brain: How infants crack the speech code

Humans' unique linguistic capacity interests members of
the academy, business, industry, and society at large from
different perspectives. This talk uses new data from behavioral
and neurological studies to suggest a theory about how infants
crack the speech code. Their strategies provide clues that may
help machines understand speech.

Host: Alan Gelperin MH 1C-464 (908)582-5696
Simulcast to: HO(AUD), IH(AUD), OEC(1B-264A), WH(AUD), HOH (Conf Room)

Suggestions and comments are welcome, and may be sent to
grc@research.bell-labs.com

GRC talks are open to all members of Lucent and AT&T communities.

If you're interested in viewing the videotape, please send email to
GRC secretary Judy Paone at judy@research.bell-labs.com

And, the interconnects are for analog, not digital, not even _I_ believe that silver digital interconnect will make an audible difference (then again, pass that rabit foot along, will you ;-)

--- tony