firstly thanks to all that have given their input , I do much appreciate it
I have never heard of this place but [ChicagoTC]it had the best price on all the models that I listed, anyone know anything about them? reputable or not?
http://www.drplasma.com/dr/cartid90779-EVEREST-97WAVRC726/ic-VSX74TXVI/itemdesc.html

about using the amp to connect all the video stuff. I had read its not the best way to go and a few of you seem to feel the same way. so the "up-conversion" that at least the yammy's provide is NOT a good thing for HDMI input? or does that go for ALL video input? I am "evaluating" the new JVC HD-56FH96 [just delivered today] and supposedly it scans and converts lesser input signals to 1080p <-- or maybe that should be 1080i. anywho, that was the reasoning for my question about the AVR upconverting input. I'm getting the OPPO DVD player, so its safe to assume the optimum connection would be the DVI out from the Oppo direct to HDMI in on the TV?

again thanks for any and all feedback. so I have a few more AVR's to look over. glad someone , had words about the Pioneer as it looks very good to me. as do the others. but . . . . with advice to NOT connect DVD and [future] satti dish to AVR, has got me wondering if I should worry about getting a different AVR at all. Afterall i have a [new unused] yammy rx-v2500[[it has no HDMI input/output.] so I should connect all video straight to TV and use optical to the AVR for audio?

more thoughts? thanks guys.
Stone__Man