Let's try this again, shall we? first you should visit the head(can, potty) whatever u call it lol and grab a refreshment.

what I have and what I've known. Rather reluctantly I must say, but here goes nothing.

Presently, I have a yamaha YSP-1 (single speaker do it all ... thing)
and a yamaha YSP-515 (sub)
all processing is built in, so no receiver to speak of.

Past system, I've been to embarrassed to bring it up till now, but figured what the hell , after things that have happened here in the past. so laugh to yourself cause I DO NOT want to hear it! OK? ok

hope this in't TOO boring

Bose 701's got me going, here is why. being military, units have xmas parties and give some spendy door prizes, someone won the 701's , great right? they party on for some time. Take the two boxes out to load in the car trunk. they didn't fit. uh, oh. one drunk says to the other drunk , "lets just take them out of boxes and put them in that way, we only have to go to the barracks". that's where things fell apart, literally! ONE of the 701's were dropped and the cabinet was really messed up ( it was decapitated) the whole head was broken off and the lower cabinet rather messed up as well. It so happens that the exchange was MAJOR COOL , and gave the guy a replacement set. Instead of just returning as junk to bose or where ever they tried to sell them. I think they were like 700$ each selling price NEW. so they were asking 500$.

This is where I come into the picture. I know my way around a woodshop. I'll leave it at that. I'm thinking one flawless, one broken. I checked it out and to the manager "good luck selling those" each week the price got lowered. it hit 250$ for the PAIR . I jumped on it like stink on sh!t! sorry I'm a bit long winded aren't I? hehe the short of it, I worked some major magic in the woodshop and Pieced frankenstein back together. I'm still proud of that feat *pats self on back* lol

I need to step back a FEW steps a few months Prior I bought a very marked down Harmon Kardon AV rec. the model eludes me now. so I had mains and harmor kardon. Ever the bargin hunter I had eyes at a different bases exchange/bx/px a set of um... 501's? i think they were. floor models that had the tweeters poked in, so got them at a great discount and ..... now here's a TIP for those that don't know you can do it.
I took some semi tacky masking tape fashioned it into a sticky side out small circle, stuck it on the pushed in tweeter and popped those suckers out. no worse for the wear. Then I found a JBL center speaker , ,and bose 301's,, again CHEAP lol

So I had a 5.0 setup, happy happy. I never found I need a base, as i ran both 501's and 701's at the same time. VERY 3D sound. large soundstage. mind you I am NOT an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I would say they were forward , great lows and highs and lacking somewhat in the middle. in short I LOVED them. the series of the 701's was changed the next year as many complained about the power it needed for full deep bass. I too found it not as low as I would like.

I happened across a super HEAVY old phase linear power amp, I THINK it had 700watts per, dont' quote me on that, it could have been 350 to each. it had been modded by someone in "the know" and has an extra 4o r5 inches of heat plate secured to the stock heat sink and 3 120mm fans on the rear. NOW with that sucker hooked up I was REAL happy with the bose 701 low end, fan noise at low levels sucked (from the phase linear) but thats another story.

The short of it is with either set up then or now I get NO "ear thing" going on. mind you if I maxed the trebble on the HK and cranked the bose speakers it would give me ear problems.

So there you have it , that is all I have to offer of what I've heard that I can say I liked. OH stop... ONe friend had a cerwin vega setup that i VERY much liked . hadn't thought of that in some time. it was KICK @SS , the woofs in this thing were HUGE , I think it had horn tweets, but don't hold meto that. I found the bose sound actually more enjoyable to my ears as I do the yammy I have now. but not sure that is a fair comparison in the least. that s that about what I've had and liked.

what I didn't like and bothered my ear the most of anything ( i know this it totally NOT home hifi) but friends that had those tweeters , beer can size and smaller on their dash or mounted anywhere in front or above. the indoors were tolerated much better. those dash kind would rattle my ear even at moderate volumes.

This thread is here to share my thoughts, comments and Questions , as to IF Axioms and my ear can play well together. the word BRITE WILL be used . PLEASE take no offense to ANY question or comments I may have that you may find a 'slap' to your beloved brand. OK? Civil and polite in ALL instance of discussion please. I'm here to learn, and we learn from questions. Again no BS in here PERIOD.

I'm have prelim hearing test 17th. and WHO KNOWS when the REAL test will be. any in mil. or prior mil. will certainly know what I mean.

can't remember off the top of my head who (sorry) it was but someone mentioned having ear prob's themselves and tinitus? the ringing thing? I am thinking I have the same thing, and have had for quite some time. its moreso in my left ear (the same one that gives me the trouble with tweeters) If i how do I say this? hehe If I put my finger in my ear and shake it. it seems to disappear fro a few seconds then comes back. Its MUCH more noticeable in quiet places, its sorta constant faint zzzzzzz , very seldom it does get um.... more intense and hurts inside.

well there is my novel for the day. i look forwar to hearing everyones thoughts on this, and who knows maybe others that have "ear things" will see it and we can share and learn from one another. Thanks for your time and consideration, it IS VERY MUCH appreciated. Take my word on that. thanks

Stone__Man

who put a spel on the cheker? lol (NO offense intended, please )