First of all, I want to thank Wid for helping me resolve 1 of the three problems I have, thanks Rick!

As most of you know I received my Emotiva mps-1 amp chassis recently plus two of their epm-300 monoblock modules for starters to drive my m80's. The amp is very cool and top quality.

Anyway, I have some issues as I'm hearing some static in the m80 tweeters occasionally. In addition, I've been hearing a slight "hum" from the woofers, and what sounds like pink noise emitting from the tweeters at a very very low level (have to put my ear right up against the tweeters) when I don't hear the static mentioned above.

Anyway, below is a post on my thread I started on AV123, as their are many Emotiva owners on that website. Was hoping for some ideas from my Axiom buddies.

With the help of one of my Axiom buddies, "Wid", I made some progress. It appears the static sound and hum situation are two different animals. I'll talk about the static in a bit.

First of all, I took the screws out of the epm300's that secure it to the chassis and that seemed to make no difference for any of my issues, so I put them back in...

In troubleshooting the "hum" I noticed I was getting some hum out of my center speaker which was not hooked to my mps-1. I thought this was odd. My monster Axiom ep600 sub is placed right below my center speaker about 1 ft. The center speaker is mounted on the wall below my screen. I noticed when I unplugged the sub, the hum went away. Also, the hum that I was hearing in my m80 mains reduced somewhat.

The Axiom subs have a ground screw you can remove if you hear the 60hz hum in the sub. So I removed the screw and plugged the sub back in, and shazaam, the hum from the center disappeared and the hum from the mains was greatly reduced. So my guess is something was feeding back through the "Blue Jeans" coax to my receiver and creating a hum in the speakers.

I still have the hum in the mps-1 amps I can hear from 5-6" away, and there is still a very small hum in my main speakers which appear to be originating from the amp. Not sure if this is normal? I'm thinking if I was using speakers that were not as efficient, I would not hear anything from them?

Another thing I didn't mention before, and not sure if this is a problem, is that I didn't place the two epm-300 mono's right next to each other. I placed one in the first slot and placed the second one in the third slot over. I figured this would give a little more air flow. I plan to purchase one more to drive my center, and then 2 of the 2-channel epm-2150's for the surrounds. So I'll have plenty of room.

In regards to the static sound I hear. This is a weird problem. AT first I thought it was cable related, but after using the better cables I purchased tonight at Radio Shack, the static noise was still in the tweeters of my mains. It was not consistant, sometimes it was there, and other times it was not. I was freaking out.

Then I noticed that it had to do with the light switch in my AV closet. When I had the close light ON, there was no static. When I turned the light OFF, the static could be heard in the tweeters. That to me is very strange, you would think it would be the opposite.

It gets better, the light switch for my closet light is on a totally different circuit. I have a dedicated 20amp circuit for my AV stuff. The closet light switch is on a different 15amp breaker for other lights in the basement.

So then I went and turned off the 15amp breaker for the closet light, and the static was still present. It is only when the light is turned on, that the static goes away, and the only thing is the hum from the amp.

Sorry for being so long, I'm just totally lost on this one....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85