Another attempt in my long quest to make brown rice taste good without sausage gravy or bacon.

Wierd Brown Rice Pilaf

2 onions chopped
3 celery stalks chopped, plus chopped celery leaves from a few more
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 cups brown rice
3 tbsp jerk seasoning paste
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 can tuna
a few strips chicken bacon (purchased because I liked the radio spots )
1 900ml package chicken broth (the salty tasteless kind, not the good organic stuff)
1/2 cup frozen corn
maybe 1 tsp coriander

Saute onions, celery, chicken bacon in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic, saute for a few more minutes. Add rice and jerk seasoning, continue to saute for a few more minutes until boredom sets in (a few more minutes).

Add chicken broth, bring to boil then cover and simmer. After about 30 minutes, dump in frozen corn and can of tuna (after feeding a bit to the dogs). Raise heat a bit until boiling, reduce heat again to simmer.

After about 30 more minutes add fish sauce and coriander. Yes it was kinda tasteless before, why do you ask ? Keep simmering, water as needed, until you get a nice creamy texture like wet cement (or, I suppose, a good risotto). Total cooking time was a bit over an hour.

The finished product is surprisingly good. I dumped in a lot of things figuring I would decide afterwards what didn't belong, but I believe I would make it exactly the same way next time.

Goes well with Orange Peel Ale (Great Lakes Brewery). I can't find the beer thread so I guess I'll post here. This beer just showed up in the local LCBO (the provincial government liquor and fancy beer store) so I picked up a couple of 650 ml bottles.

I'll have to organize some A/B testing with friends but first impressions are really good. The label says "a touch of honey, heaps of oranges and peels, and heavy hops to balance the orange) but the result is just very crisp and tasty. There is only the tiniest hint of orange taste.

The beer is $4.99 CDN for a 650 ml bottle and seems worth a try.

I just noticed that you can pick font colour. Has this always been available ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8