Hey John,

When I ran the test tones I've always used "direct" mode. It was not until recently when mojo mentioned that he noticed his 80's woofers/mid drivers were moving at 10, 20, 30, etc. Hz during the tests that I became confused.

This did not make sense if you have 80's set to small and an 80hz crossover. When using "stereo" mode I found recently they do not act this way, so it appears that "direct" mode bypasses any bass mgmt settings and sends the full range to the 80's.

When listening to music CD's, some music DVD's, and internet streaming music, I've always used "Direct" mode also.

It has always been my understanding this mode shut down unneeded video circuitry in the Denon and gave you the best possible sound. However, I never realized that my bass mgmt settings were being ignored. This is why the bass always sounded great, they were getting full range.

Many people have always told me that small and 80hz crossover is a great middle of the road for movies and music. So I've always assumed this was what I was experiencing. "Stereo" mode is totally different when listening to music than "direct" mode.

Maybe this is why so many people use say 40-60hz crossover for music listening. However, then my movies are not set right, as they need 80hz.

I suppose if my Denon allowed for different settings for different speakers, that would be helpful. I'm still not planning on using "large" for my 80's, but I may experiment with a 60hz crossover instead of 80hz. However, that may not be good for the rest of my speakers.....arrrrggg

Back in my original tests I would have been using Direct mode also, so my 80'z were altering the overall low freq shown on the graphs, which might explain the results when moving my 500 around...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85