Quote:

>>John, my thorough scientific analysis of Scott's graph would indicate to me that it results from room dimensions of 8'x 20'x 24(just kidding; in the past that's what he said the dimensions were).

Once again I bow to your wisdom. That makes sense then -- a 28 Hz peak (plus 56, 84 etc..) from the 20 foot dimension and 23, 46, 69 hz peaks from the 24 foot dimension. The 8 foot dimension would make its first appearance around 70 Hz.

Dips would be 14, 42, 70 from the 20 foot dimension, 12, 35, 58 hz from the 24 foot dimension, and 35, 100, 175 from the 8 foot dimension.

The good news is that the 80 hz dip really does look to be related to crossover not room acoustics, so give that 'ol phase switch a flip.

Nuts, I need to submit this before I can look at the graph and see if it fits

EDIT - Whew, it fits. That's actually a pretty good set of room dimensions, have to remember them.

One last question -- where is the primary seating position in the room relative to the walls, ie how far away are you from the 20 foot and 24 foot walls ? My recollection was that you were pretty squarely in the middle of the room -- which argues for moving the sub out of the corner.

Gonna have to go back and pull out the college physics books - "565/dimension" - I don't recall that short formula when we were going thru the sound section.

Actual wall to wall dimensions are 23'0" x 19'3" - wall unit is right of center on long wall 10'10" from right. Mains are 2'9" from wall to drivers and 13' apart (center of drivers). Sweet spot listening position is 13' from mains, 12' from center and 5' from back wall - back surrounds semetrically placed 7' from listening position, side surrounds not-so-sematrically positioned, but just behind listening position.

I'll try the phase switch and see what happens below ~140...

For those who have not gone thru this test I do recommend a set of ear plugs as certain frequencies can get pretty intense.

Thanks again for all who have chimed in here, I really appreciate the help. Theo is scheduled to come over next Sat for a demo and I'd like to do my best to get the room out of the equation. He's looking at a set of M80's to replace a set of Bose cubes. Not a tough decision, I'm thinking

Scott

Scott

My HT