Quote:

Since you have your sub's SPL set to the same level as the M80s, you are at least doubling your output (3dB) in direct mode.

I'm confused, as I thought we determined there was no bass mgmt going on in the Dennon's direct mode? Wouldn't this mean the sub wouldn't be active at all in this mode, with full range going to the M80s?

Incidently Randy, I have the same experience with most 2 channel CDs that you do. I prefer to listen to 2 channel stereo with just the M80s, no sub. On my receiver the mode is called '2-Channel Direct'. As you said, things just sound as they have more punch, and for me even the upper frequencies sound more detailed. This is compared to the enhanced processing modes like Dolby Pro Logic IIx or Logic7. The added layers of ambiance in the other channels kind of detract from the clearness of the original 2 channel sound.

This is just me, I prefer the un-modified recorded sound over any type of synthetic ambiance my receiver creates. But it also depends on the recording, some stereo discs sound good either way, and some do not. Just so you know I also really do enjoy multichannel music, but it has to be mastered that way. Such as the 20th Annv. Brothers In Arms, or DSOTM on SACD, or the Beatles Love DVD.

As others have said before, the Axioms are very revealing to the original source recording. It has shown me there is a wide range of different quality recordings out there. Because of this I haven't found there is a perfect mode setting or crossover configuration to handle them all.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/