Originally Posted By: Micah

I say problem because it would be hard for me to understand why an audio company would purposely lower the volume on their subwoofer line??? That would be like Ferrari upgrading the F40 with 250 LESS horsepower!!!

Actually, it would be like re-designing the gas pedal.

The question is whether or not the new sub still has the capability of outputting the same maximum level.

Equipment designers have been having a "loudness war" with the volume controls for years..designing the control to have full output with a quarter turn so that boombox seems really, really powerful. Imagine if someone designed a really nice receiver, but it took a full 360 degree turn of the volume knob to reach full output. At full output, it can put out as much as the competition. But people would consider it weak in that it wasn't "cranking" with only a third of a turn of the knob.

So, if you think of a volume control as simply a gain control, it would be best designed if it had to be turned up to maximum to reach full output with a weakish signal....and a little less than a full turn if it had a strong input signal. Then you would have the finest amount of control over that gain, all the way to "full output".

So, again, the question is not how much the volume control gets turned, but whether or not the new subs full output is equal to the old subs' full output.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::