I dunno if the others will like it but I'll throw my two cents in.

First thing I'd do is update my denon AVR via the net. Logic there is some issues with LFE processing were documented in the firmware updates given out to shops a while back. I can't remember what model though. Second make sure you have it plugged into the back of the denon's line level out section in the RCA named SW.

Then I'd go into the Denon setup screens and make sure your x-overs are set right. Make sure it's set to LFE+Main for both surround and pure direct/stereo modes (pure direct has it's own descrete x-over settings remember and LFE+mains to 80Hz squazi highpass) and that the fronts and center are set to large. Set the rears to small. Set mains x-over to 60Hz, center and rears to 90Hz. You can try 40Hz for mains as well. Sucks Denon doesn't have high/low settings and the Hz steps between 40 and 80Hz are in 20Hz increments as I figure about 46 to 56 would be ideal. I'd love to set it to 53Hz... Set levels for each chan to something like this to start. Mains +2.5, Center +2, rears +1 with LFE at +5. Set the sub to 80% on the dial and set sub x-over to 100Hz or infinity (personally I think it sound better going through the x-over even if there is nothing there to cross. Set DSP to half and on the denon make sure roomEQ is turned off and tone defeat.

This should result in decent spl levels. One thing though, LFE coax can make a difference. Out of all frequencies one could send down consumer line level, LFE seems to be the most affected by a poor peace of coax. With the kinda money you spent on that sub I suggest you get an LFE cable from Bluejeanscable.com You might be shocked that it will allow your sub to play louder and fuller. Specially if you have a peace of shit coax segment like that crap Monster directional LFE cables with a broken ground.

If you really wanna go nuts and have a HTPC/notebook you can get yourself some kinda external USB soundcard with phantom power, a Galaxy SPL meter, some cables and download a copy of roomEQ or trueRTA. For about 200 or so bucks and some forum research over at hometheatershack.com you will be able to make that sub hum bigtime. It's a fantastic unit. Top notch. In fact the best product axioms has less the M22.

Really the easiest luddite method to figure location is to generate LFE tone and move around the room to where it's loudest then move the sub to that location. Do this over again a few times and you should get a general idea of best placement. If it's more boomy at that location try changing the phase switch. I dunno if it can really hurt the sub but personally before I change phase I turn the volume on the sub to zero flip switch and then turn it back up. I really hope this helps you out Osburne. The EP500 here has been able to move plates on the wall, make that oak floor move up and down maybe an inch in places and actually might be responsible for a crack in the drywall. When I was testing I had a pal place his had on those windows man and he was like WOW check out the flex. I walked over and felt it and almost freak out! I was yelling, "turn it down! turn it down! I thought the windows was going to break! Seriously no one word of a lie! It actually scared the heck outta me

Solid-State

PS hmm... due to RCA breakage replacement I might have different rev amp than original testing... It does seem not as loud perhaps. I wonder if Mika is onto something... I'll run those same tests again.

Last edited by SolidState; 08/23/09 09:02 PM.