Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Here's a thought, don't shoot them.

Coyotes are found far and wide across North America, usually alone but sometimes gather in small packs (not nearly as large as wolf packs). They are typically scavengers and shy away from humans but do hunt small mammals (mice, young or cornered rabbits, whatever is easy).
Much like other scavengers, they will come for garbage and yes, those who think cats need to be outdoors may also lose such small creatures.

One of the local TV stations (WXII12.COM - that is wxii12.com) was interviewing a NC Wildlife Ranger a couple of days ago. Quite coincidentally, in the background - a field next to a housing development - a coyote took down a deer. The cameraman did not capture the take down but he did get on the action immediately after. The coyote had the deer in the classic choke hold in an attempt to suffocate it. Something - probably the interview - spooked the coyote and it let go of the deer and took off. You can see the deer jump up and I don't think it was full grown but it did not have the spots of a fawn either. One thing is certain, it was much bigger than a rabbit. Te video is still on the website - scroll down and look on the right side for it.

Additionally, I have a friend that lives near me that has Weimeraners. Her largest is a bit overweight at around 80 lbs. Her dog was attacked - presumably by more than one coyote a couple of years ago and barely survived the attack. 80 stitches and multiple drainage tubes.

Further the Wildlife service here also cautioned about leaving children under the age of 12 unattended and that adults should be careful when crouching (like when weeding the garden) as the lessened presence could be considered as vulnerable thereby provoking an attack.

I am as big a nature lover as anyone - that is one reason that I live in the woods. I do not want me or my wife to have to look over our shoulder everytime we crouch outside the house.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill