Originally Posted By: JohnK
Mike, nice little inexpensive item to pick up, eh? That certainly looks like something great to carry, but 5 1/2 lbs in 325 WSM? When you put those rounds through it, you might feel it a bit more than if you got it in say 7mm-08.

I hunt with a Weatherby 340 now. I dread pulling the trigger on it even though I put a brake on it. Now, instead of just hurting me, it makes me deaf too. I can still remember when I first bought the thing. I mounted the scope and went to the range to sight it in. I fired a round and thought someone just hit me in the shoulder with a bat. I couldn’t believe it kicked that hard. I thought it must have been me not holding it right, so I racked another round in and lit it off. Damn thing not only kicked just as bad the second time, but now I was really feeling it. I threw the rifle in the truck, took it to my gun smith and had them put the Answer System on it (spring recoil pad and brake). The recoil is OK now (30:06 like), but now it’s horribly loud and painful to shoot without hearing protection. Ear plugs and hunting don’t mix well….

The WSM rounds were initially designed to provide magnum performance, but with reduced recoil. At least this is what I’ve been reading after I bought the thing. I’ve heard about them, but never really read up on them as I had no intention of buying another rifle. The 338 is probably the most used rifle in Alaska, but it drops too quick for me, which is why I shoot the 340. I’m hoping the 325 performs well so I can dump the 340. I’ll report back after I fire a few rounds through it. I’d hate to have to put a brake on this one…..