Originally Posted By: michael_d
The only way I was ever successful, was long range shooting over 200 yards with a mini-14. As soon as I saw one, I’d give the horizon a quick look for anything I didn’t want to shoot, then I’d just start shooting. Most of the time the coyote was out of range, so I’d have to make a dust cloud and adjust elevation. – I also found that using a scope hindered my reaction time, so I used peep sights.

All that aside, I don’t think you need to fear for your family. Coyotes are extremely skittish and they do not grow bolder in packs like some of the Aussie critters and wild dogs do, which are very dangerous. Coyotes will kill your chickens and anything else you have running around though.

Michael,
I had never heard of coyotes being in packs at all - I alway thought they were solitary. So I theorized that this may be a mother with this year's litter. I am not really worried about my family - except the pets. My wife is a bit preturbed over the comment the NC Wildlife group made about not crouching. She likes to work in the flower beds and is concerned that she is making herself a target.

I actually looked at the mini 14s on line yesterday despite my father-in-law's advice to get a bolt action. Ruger markets it as a couple of models - one of them called the "Ranch" model. There is a picture of a coyote next to the mini 14 on the website. Unfortunately, there are no great site distances here - so if I was even got a shot op, It would be a quick chance. The peepsite would be easier to acquire the target than if I got a scope. Of course, now that I am pondering a rifle, my wife is telling me it is just another "toy"......

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill