AFAIK the managed recoil rounds use a lighter bullet (125 gr) at roughly the same muzzle velocity as the 180 grain. The bullet seems to be different from the regular 125 CoreLokt PSP; Rem says it's designed to open reliably with lower impact velocity.

They refer to the 30-30 a few times but the bullet weight & velocity seem closer to 7.62x39 with a hunting bullet than to a typical 30-30 load.

A couple of sites mentioned a comment from Rem that their "special powder" contributes to the lower recoil, maybe a faster burn rate so that the bullet can accelerate just as quickly with less powder and a lower overall gas volume ?

JohnK, thanks for the reminder - I had seen the managed recoil loads before then promptly forgot about them.

Then again, I imagine some people would rather be seen buying frilly underwear in 2XL than buying "managed recoil" cartridges :

(make sure nobody is within earshot, talk to clerk) I'D LIKE TO BUY SOME (lean close, speak in lower voice) managed recoil (back to normal voice) CARTRIDGES FOR MY 308 WIN ;\)

Last edited by bridgman; 12/17/09 07:11 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8