My brother-in-law was up a couple of times this week; after the first time he found that his trailer tire had gone flat. He called me before coming up the second time and asked me to look around in the driveway and yard to see if there was something sharp sticking up.

It had just gotten dark, so I grabbed a flashlight and searched around in front of the house. Nothing there, so started walking up the driveway towards the road. Didn't see anything sharp there either, but I did notice a lot of fresh saucer-sized canine footprints (canine footprints the size of a saucer, not footprints from a saucer-sized canine). After a rapid "tactical withdrawal" back to the house I followed the footprints around and concluded that a couple of animals with wolf-sized feet were hunting rodents in my woodpile.

I still had a couple of hundred feet of driveway to check, but the footprints were *really* fresh (it had been snowing all day) so some kind of moral support was required. I headed down to the gun room to pick up said moral support and found that the battery had died in the door lock. No problem, it's a standard LaGard electronic lock, just flip open the battery cover under the keypad and...

... no battery cover. Crap. Fire up the computer and start downloading pdfs until I find one that seems to match my keypad. OK, keypad slides up... check... battery is in the back... check... replace battery... check... enter combination... door opens. Woot !! Shotgun... buckshot... flashlight... spare flashlight... out we go. No sharp things sticking up from the ground, just coyotes and the occasional wolf howling in the distance.

The shotgun turned out to be handy anyways. We were unloading furniture from the trailer and Rob's dog was driving us crazy trying to get us to throw a stick for him. One round of buckshot took care of that problem...

Rob walked around with the shotgun for a minute, tracked an imaginary bird in the air, pulled the trigger, and the dog ran off looking for the bird for the next 10 minutes while we finished unloading the trailer.

Last edited by bridgman; 01/02/10 01:32 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8