Yes I did try it after reading this article at Audioholics:

Conclusion, Rankings and Evaluation

I should clarify that I’m not saying the results of the Audioholics test prove any particular setup sounds best. IMO there are just to many factors to consider…speaker placement, room interactions, listening material, personal preference etc… to draw any conclusions about a particular persons perceived sound quality based on numbers alone.

I easily preferred the horizontal dispersion of the VP150 oriented vertically for music. Instrument and vocalist placement was more precise. However, there is something to be said for the “wall-of-sound” effect for movies it creates oriented horizontally especially sitting up close. When I tried M22 center and eventually the M80 I found that sitting up close 6’ I could hear the vertical center as separate from the mains. Moving farther away just out to 8’ eliminated that. Also arraying it vertically pulled the center of the soundstage up. Again this effect diminished with distance.

I can’t say how the vertical VP150 sounded compared to the M22 because I didn’t have the M22s back then and never thought to try it when I did. I plan to hook the VP150 up this weekend and A/B/C compare the M80/M22/VP150 something I haven’t done here in the house or with the new receiver so I’ll be sure to give it a try this time.

Last edited by grunt; 11/26/09 08:13 PM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1