This conversation is quite timely for me. When I finish work today (yeah I'm working now! ), I will be attempting to finish a basement including an HT at my in-laws place over the next 4 days. While building the HT we can either plan for single or dual horizontal centers (above and below screen of course), or plan for say 3 M60's or 3 M80's (or whatever brand they decide on) across the front as LCR's. So apologies for the long post, but here is my understanding of center channels. Please correct me where I may be wrong or misinformed.

1 - Horizontal centers were developed primarily for 'ergonomics' and provide good horizontal sound dispersion (but not necessarily good vertical dispersion)

2 - Three identical LCR speakers oriented similarly will make for the best soundstage if you can make the ergonomics work (i.e. good horizontal and vertical dispersion characteristics)

So if I am correct on this I will try to steer my in-laws towards 3 identical LCR's like M60's or 80's. I think we can build that into a false wall with an acoustically transparent screen.

Please let me know if I am on the right track here. Thanks!!!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1