Originally Posted By nickbuol
Maybe I am still missing something. There is more to an Atmos setup that just adding ceiling speakers. The traditional "surround" speakers that are on the wall (not ceiling) should be monopole too. That is what I was getting at, so my statements still stand.

Bi/di/quad-pole speakers are considerably less than ideal (per Dolby, I have not personally experienced this, but it was convincing enough for me to replace my QS8s with on-wall M3s a year ago) in the side and rear surround positions for any immersive audio format like Atmos or DTS:X.

I can't answer your question about ear height, but like others have stated, the stands are at ear height, and I am sure that a number of people have done it. The QS speakers are very forgiving in their placement (which in the end is actually counter productive to precise imaging for Atmos and DTS:X).

With all of that said, just try them and if you aren't getting "wowed" by Atmos, then I woudl suggest changing out to monopole surrounds at that point. Maybe you will feel that the effect is "good enough" to not worry about swapping the surround speakers...

ok, i gotcha now. when that time comes, i'll let you know. to your point, for me, i paid a lot for these QS8 speakers so, in surround duty in an atmos environment, yeah, i'm gonna give them a try. when i get to it, i'll be sure to post here what i think.

thanks for clarifying things for me.

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93