My brain if playing tricks on me. I remember reading a passage about the Dolby response to QS8 vs direct radiating speakers. Something to the point that DiPole/OmniPole speakers were designed to simulate an array of surrounds like were used in theaters, and all the new Atmos theaters all have individual direct radiating speakers now.

This has me thinking. Array of surrounds, is saying that there were far more than one for each side. A new Atmos theater will then likely have far more than 7 + 4 speakers in their mix. So for example where in your home you have 1 surround left speaker at home, the theater has 5-8? depending on the size of the room. That will give the Atmos the ability to radiate the pinpoint sound over multiple times more speakers than you will ever have. At best you have 3 speakers if you send some of that sound mixed through your front left and rear left surround speakers.

Effectively all that Atmos has done is give far more channels bumping from the 4 (pro-logic), 5 (DD), 7 (DD-HD) now to as many as you have.

But for the home user that can't put in 20+ speakers like they have in an actual theater, are you going similar sound from the 5 speakers or 7 speakers that are directional, like you would with the 20+

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5