I agree with CV, nobody knows if the QS series surrounds won't sound pretty good with Atmos or DTS:X. Yes, Dolby and DTS specs state that all speakers should be monopole for best results. This makes a lot of sense from a physics perspective...

Think of every monopole speaker as a laser (I know, sound waves expand as they get further away from the speaker, but just go with me on this). Now, lets say that you need to have a sound object appear to the right of center, but to the left of the right speaker (basically between the center and right speaker), but about 2 feet overhead and half way between the front speakers and your ears... So take that "laser" from each speaker and make a line to that exact spot that the sound object is to come from. They all come together in a point. Now again, sound isn't pin-point like that, so look at the closest speakers to that point, since they can't be laser focused, the closest speakers will play the sound louder and the further away you get from that point, the sound coming from those speakers will be quieter or even non-existent.

So now take an amazing quadpole (or di/bi-pole) surround speakers. They broadcast a very, very wide sound field up/down/right/left and this makes it have "4 lasers" in our scenario, but none of them are pointing *into* the room. Thus the speaker needs to increase volume of a particular sound object to get it into the 3D sound field of your room, the problem is that when it does that, it also shoots that sound out on 3 other directions that you don't want it to.

Again, not saying that it is *that* bad, and I am using the idea of a pinpoint laser to represent sound waves that aren't pinpoint, but hopefully this goofy scenario example helps to show why monopole perform better for creating objects, but unlike my example, we don't know how quadpoles will work in real world Atmos setups.

So if you are wanting Atmos at some point and are starting from scratch, I would go with monopole speakers all around. I really like my M3 on-walls for surround duty and their frequency range. They are a good match to my M60 fronts.

Farewell - June 4, 2020