Originally Posted By oakvillematt
My QS8 are at ear level and they work just like they are supposed to. As they are not a directional speaker, They tend to fill a large space with defused sound that solves the issue with dolby/DTS surround modes. In mixing for these movies, the surround from what I was to understand is supposed to be seen as coming from somewhere behind you. What the QS speakers do well is open up the sweet spot so you can sit 3-4' from the speaker and still have it sound radiant so the sound still seems to be coming from somewhere rather than 'oh that surround speaker just went off'.

I understand why you put the speaker in the ceiling level to get it as far away from the seating as possible, as this was the trick for directional speakers to allow them to radiate sound as much as possible before it hit someones ears. As the QS speakers do that so well for you, this need is no longer there.

You will be more than happy with the effect you are getting.

thanks oak, that's what I wanted to hear (pun intended! laugh ) was input from folks that actually have heard the QS8's at ear level. they do an excellent job up high, but, since I'm moving them down, it's great to have heard from a couple of folks on how good they sound at ear level.

again, thanks for your input! smile

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93