A couple of people pointed out that the crossover from sub to mains gives you a degree of LF control that people running without a sub (eg typical 2-channel system) do not have.

IMO that is a really important point, since the biggest challenge I have seen with large speakers in small rooms is not being able to get them far enough away from the walls and getting stuck with too much bass reinforcement as a consequence.

As long as you set the M80s as "small" rather than "large" (so the M80s are not handling deeper bass anyways) I expect you will be fine, and may not even need the port plugs. You might have to adjust the crossover point up to 100 Hz or so.

Speakers have certainly improved over time (and I am another fan of the M5HP) but I am also very happy with M60ti's and a ported EP500 in my home theater and haven't really given any though to changing them.

I did upgrade the center channel though, and will probably add rear surrounds and maybe Atmos channels at some point (that's what the M2s and M3s are for).

Sub placement is going to be interesting in a square-ish room - probably worth looking into that as well. My first thought would be "one right by the listening position (like an end table) and one near the mains" although having them both near the listening position might be fun.

Last edited by bridgman; 02/03/18 02:16 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8