Good posts Mark and Nick. I agree with you guys. (And, Nick, it appears you and I start with the opposite political views, as I am what I'd call "radical left.")

On the Ann Coulter thing, that itself even is a tough issue. I know people talk about free speech, but there are lines that need to be drawn and these are tough lines. A university certainly should be a bastion of discussion and alternative views--the ultimate place to fight against the tyranny of the majority if you will and express alternative views. However, I think there are limits. If a university for whatever reasons wants to invite an open racist or anti-semite to speak, do the students need to accept that or can they rally to stop the whole darn thing? I personally think the latter is the case (though the rally needs to be done in the right way). I'm not comparing Ann Coulter to a racist or anti-semite, I know little about her. My point is even statements such as "it's a matter of free speech" often aren't cut and dried. Yes you have a right to speak, but I also have the right to object to you and your speech.

Lines are drawn every single day on numerous issues. What I think often is missed is the fact that even with the hardest issues, the debate often is nothing more than a question about where you draw the line.