Fair enough, Adrian. I'm not sure we really are disagreeing all that much, if at all. I continue to believe that some views, even views that could be considered extreme today, are so fundamental that they should not be the subject of compromise by politicians or otherwise. (Rather than raise a host of examples that themselves could be controversial, I'll leave it as a general statement.) I also don't think views should be rejected simply because they are extreme by today's standards. I don't think you are necessarily disagreeing with those notions, but rather are pointing out that extremists as you've defined them are, shall I say, problematic. I agree with you on that. The "extremists" certainly have the right to express their views, they just tend to do more harm than good in trying to reach solutions to the most pressing problems of the day. Kind of gets back to many of the original points folks were making.

I just realized that in my first post in this thread I proclaimed that I don't engage in political discussions anymore. However many posts later, here I am! I got sucked in because folks were making interesting points in intelligent and constructive ways. You all are more informed than I am on many (most) of these issues, which has made this thread an interesting read. I've enjoyed the discussion so much, I'm going to start separate threads to get people's views on (a) abortion, (b) Israel, and (c) the right of homosexuals to marry! (I kid, of course.)