Originally Posted By: audiosavant

Of course it's not the first time. But the recent (last 40 years or so) of right-wing violence and anger is what I'm talking about.

Yet you dismiss the Left wing violence.

History of Terrorism: Where Did Left Wing Terrorism Go? [/quote]

Of course you could restrict your time period to about the last 25 years and have little left wing violence but then if one picks and chooses time periods to make a point then any point can be made.

Quote:

Lol. Those who don't watch the History Channel are doomed to repeat it?

Context! The entire comment was referenced to political vitriol seeming to be a new thing to so many nothing about history repeating. . . .

Quote:

Not really. There was a time that "news" was supposed to be reported accurately and political slant was saved for the editorial section.

Unless right wing revisionism has somehow turned Walter Cronkite into a commie pinko, I was raised that news, to quote Sgt. Friday was "Just the facts, ma'am...", not a certain sides version of the facts.

Your right there was a time before the mid 60s when the Right believed that the “news” was reported accurately and there was a time between then and the 90s when the Left wing believed the same. So I guess for each of them it was in that time. Doesn’t make it so for everyone.

Quote:

It's getting harder to lie, distort and repress news (except in China perhaps), and the whole world is the better for it imo.

The internet makes it much easier to lie and distort due to the shear overflow of information. While it is true that now you or I could log in and see live what’s happening on the scene through cell phones etc. . . the reality is most news we receive is still collected and filtered for us and most people don’t take the time to check primary sources even when available. IMO lies are much easier to perpetrate and more prevalent simply because of the illusion of “accuracy” given by the internet which most people just don’t have the time to verify. So while the “Big Lie” is more problematic lots of “Little Lies” have taken it’s place. Decapitation or death of a thousand cuts leads to the same end.

Quote:

Like I said before, the idea of a liberal media is bs. The media is only as liberal as the corporations that own them.

There is bias not just in the opinions given but also in the language used and even the “news” that’s reported on. There is plenty of evidence showing this throughout history. The last 50 years are no different than the last 500 or 5000 humans haven’t evolved significantly in that time. Why do you think “politically correct” speech codes developed in education since the 60s. Who controls the language controls thought (Newspeak?). You and others can choose not to see it and/or dismiss it as absurd but sticking ones head in the sand doesn’t make it go away.

Quote:

This has dumbed down the population imo.

Politically correct education coupled with “social promotion” has dumbed down the U.S. population. Citizens today don’t even have the most basic skills to spot bogus “facts” in “news” reports because of this. News doesn’t make people stupid being under/miss educated does.

Quote:

That's a very interesting and accurate insight there. But still, there needs to be a separation of "news" and "opinion". Everyone is entitled to their opinion but not their own version of the facts.

There can never be a separation of “news” and “opinion” which is why good historical authors explain their personal biases in the forwards of their books and why the cite verifiable primary sources in the text. Most new persons/organizations do neither.

Quote:

That's why we Americans need to wake up to who our real enemies are...

I'm talking about that evil, sleeping giant right on our border... CANADA!

When I say that I’m on the side with the biggest guns I’m referring not to foreign enemies but the domestic ones. I’m in the military so whether we become a Right wing or Left wing dictatorship I’d still be on the side with the biggest guns, the government. ;\)

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1