Originally Posted By: fredk
To me, the reality is that Coulter is being used by our current government to discredit 'the left' as being intolerant when, by action it is the current government that is most guilty of muzzling free speech.

It's funny. I realize I don't know much about the day too day machinations of Canadian politics.

And I'd like to consider myself more curious than the average American punter (USA!!! #1!!!) about politics outside my own borders.

Other than French Canadian concerns over independence and the fact that Trudeau got lots of poon back in the day, most of my knowledge (these days) of current political stuff comes from Da Vinci's Inquest (yes, I know it's fiction)! A fine show btw.

I just assume that most Canadians are pretty cool. High literacy rate. Decent universal healthcare. Relaxed attitude towards marijuana. Friendly people. Clean cities (I love Vancouver). Shitload of guns, yet violent crime is no where near what the US has to deal with, great speakers, etc.

Canada has one of the better reputations for a western country.

In fact, during George W. Bush's reign of (t)error, I would joke about traveling abroad: "If any body asks, we're Canadian!" Mainly because you guys don't piss off as many people as some of us "ugly Americans" do.

And btw, much appreciation for the service and sacrifice you have given from your military over the years. America has a great ally in Canada and can learn quite a lot on how to have a civil society in the 21st century from your example.

(cue O Canada and get me a brew, eh?)

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa