In reply to:

AJAX: dear ole’ Jack….you have been around here long enough to realize this happens every day or two…..people have opinions, they quote sources, drop names, make common errors in judgment. We all have our pet peeves about things, but they will happen again. Had the conversation taken an “IMO, Onkyo is brutal…” direction, would that be better? If you read the threads – and I know you do – most of what is posted is opinion! Even when reviews are quoted, we must understand that most of it is based on the reviewer’s opinion. Sometimes there are some technical details, but again, the lack of standards applied to all pieces within a realm (speakers, amps, etc) means this can be used as a marketing tool.

HEY! Watch the "ole" stuff!

Mike, to answer your question, Yes, IMHO It would be much better to be sure to include the IMHO, PARTICULARLY if what you saying about a piece of equipment is negative, or if there is no substantiated proof for your statement. Two reasons.

1. It's very likely that one, or many, of the people who dwell here, or visit, OWN that particular brand of equipment. I don't want anyone to feel badly about something they own. There's are ways of making the point without taking a "Brand X is crap" tack. There is a HUGE difference between saying "the excessive brightness that Onkyo is known through out the industry for," and saying "I honestly find Onkyo bright." The former requires proof; no one can argue with the latter. That's the difference between fact and opinion. You can find this one in the file under "consideration for others," and cross filed under "tact." It's pretty basic.

2. Though I may be one of those who dwell here, and understand completely that most of what is posted here is opinion and is often unsubstantiated, the newbie, who is wandering through the wilderness of audio fact and fiction, and is just looking for a ray of light to guide him/her (and Lord knows it can all be so confusing), may NOT understand that so much of this is opinion, and just may lay out a pot of money based on some idle, unsubstantiated opinion that is presented as fact. Or, as in this case, may avoid a purchase that would have worked well, and spend the pot on something that wouldn't

I don't know, maybe I take this aspect of the forum thing too seriously, but I feel strongly that we have a responsibility to the newbie. IMHO, The primary raison d'etre of any forum is to provide help to others, and I take that responsibility seriously. I know I'd feel awful if, based on something I said, somebody blew a $1000 dollars and was unhappy with their purchase.

And, if you try to hug me, I'll stand firmly, and painfully on your instep until you cry "all speaker wire sounds the same." I may be old, but I'm crafty.

In reference to your "thanks for the quote," you're welcome. Are your dues paid up in the IBOC? (International Brotherhood Of Curmudgeons)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton