Nice to see this channel back to positive ground. This is the reason I like this forum so much. As a footnote, I spent some time awhile back looking at separate amps and whatthey would do for me, if anything. Resposne were divided bewtwwen the two camps, but there was a compelling undercurrent of why bother. I did some PMs with Alan and his counsel was (paraphrasing mode on) "OK for louder, but not much else and the money could be well spent elsewhere". When an absolute expert in the field of audio provides that kind of input, I take it seriously. I didin't want to throw gas on the fire, just share the experience.

However, I do want to make a couple of points in this mix. First, human beings tend to talk themselves into things sometimes that just aren't so, and that's OK.

More importantly, we should touch on the semantics involved here. This is an absolutely subjective area. On top of that, perceptions are formed and sensations are experienced based on individual physiology. My ears may be shaped differently, nmay be larger and me ay be cleaner than anyone else's combination of same, so sound will likley hit then differently and be assessed differently. I KNOW there is alot more hair in my ears than there used to be . All of that affects the sense of hearing.

Now let's add articulation to the mix - I say corn, you say maize. The word "bright", aside from apparently being one of the most emotional words around lately, only has absolute relevance to its user. Three of us would use the word for three different reasons. Trying to verbally describe audio is as difficult as trying to describe a color. Never gonna be consistent. This little tome explains why I try to avoid absolutes & platitudes (except for the MX-700 ) - they just aren't valid in most cases. As described above - lay out the plusses and minuses and, do some research and decide for yourself. Advice given must be tempered and advice received must be filtered. That's my story.

Mike, once again (as I did a few months back) , I must complment you on your input and ask why we don't see you on a more consistent basis. Especially since you are moving into the "Age of Being Cranky". This is a daunting journey that requires expert guidance. You might do well to purchase Jack's 37 DVD video series on the subject. He is regarded as a galactic expert in the area. (The Yoda character is actually based on Jack).